Summer Squash Salad with Pecorino Romano and Capers
Yield: 6 servings
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 medium shallot, peeled and diced finely (3 tablespoons)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
3 small zucchini or summer squash (mix of both, preferably)
Kosher salt, to taste
1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, not pre-grated, for serving
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley
1. In a small container with a tight fitting lid, combine the vinaigrette ingredients, close the lid tightly, and shake well to combine. Or, whisk to combine the ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Using a mandoline or your vegetable peeler, carefully slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/16-inch thick slices lengthwise. The slices will resemble wide pasta noodles. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. Place the zucchini in a medium bowl.
4. Whisk the olive oil into the shallot mixture and add the capers. On a plate, loosely arrange some zucchini slices into a small pile, then spoon some of the caper vinaigrette over the top.
5. Lastly, using a vegetable peeler, top with some shavings of cheese and some of the parsley.